My photo
Dallas, Texas, United States

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Moment of Silence Appeal

On May 27th, our attorney Dean Cook filed our appeal on the Moment of Silence case. Americans United for Separation of Church and State (AU) and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) filed an amicus brief supporting our appeal. I have uploaded the legal briefs and posted links to the AU and ACLU press releases on my Moment of Silence webpage.

I renewed my membership in the AU and the ACLU recently. If you support the separation of church and public school, I encourage you to do the same.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

My apologies for responding so late. Life keeps me busy.

You are right. If the authors of the 1st amendment made direct statements like "to forever keep religion and state separate" then there would be no argument but they didn't. They didn't because that was not their intention any more than it would be the intention of any non-judicial governmental body today. The constitution is there to protect the rights of the minority, as well as the majority. It is NOT there to protect the rights of the minority at the expense of the majority. Like it or not, your opinion on religion is in the extreme minority.

Simple question...How is 1 minute of quiet time favoring AN establishment of religion? If so which one? How does it violate your children's rights to be protected from religion? No prayers are said out loud (unless your little ones can read minds).

I myself and not particularly religious (I lean Diest as opposed to Athiest because the scientist in me can not prove either way and there are alot of things about the universe we don't yet comprehend). So coming from that angle I cannot figure out why this is such a big deal to you...one measly minute...who cares? If it were 8 hours that would be one thing but then again you and I both know that is a little silly.

Seriously, why not devote this time and effort to doing something constructive like working in a soup kitchen or spending more time with the children. What could be more important than that?

As the first amendment and this law are written, you simply have no case.