My photo
Dallas, Texas, United States

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Zombie Apocalypse

I am a big fan of the zombie apocalypse genre, probably because it usually features lone individuals finding each other and joining forces to survive in a hostile environment filled with mindless infected masses.  I love playing the computer game Left 4 Dead 2 and I enjoy watching zombedies such as Zombieland and Shaun of the Dead.

I experienced something novel recently when a friend loaned me his autographed copy of World War Z by Max Brooks, the author of The Zombie Survival Guide.  Brooks presents an alternate history in which a zombie plague destroys most of civilization.  Presented as a series of interviews recounted by the survivors, each stand-alone story provides a snapshot of the epic struggle to survive, fight back, and rebuild.  Brooks presents each interview with the respect of a wartime journalist while weaving some contemporary social commentary into the context.

I recommend this book and I would love to see a television series based on this theme.

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

No comments: