My photo
Dallas, Texas, United States

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Resolution Day

For my New Year's Resolution last year, I resolved to stop watching television at night so I could dedicate that time toward achieving my ambition of reading the many books that I collect. This was fairly effective, especially at first.

For my New Year's Resolution this year, I resolved to stop watching television at night by removing the television from my bedroom. This has been much more effective. I think there is a lesson there about achieving your goals by making compliance a path of least resistance rather than a test of willpower.

Our family celebrates New Year's Eve by writing our Resolutions on flying wish paper. In turn, each of us sets alight the paper bearing our personal aspirations for the future. With the lights dimmed, our family watches together as the glowing paper rises toward the ceiling and then falls again as ash. As our tradition holds, if the flying wish paper does not rise, an entirely new Resolution is required.

There is always something sacred about a flame in the dark. The ritual of the New Year's Resolution has religious origins that date back to ancient times. In addition to self improvement, it incorporates concepts of repentance, forgiveness, and renewal. In that spirit, I am adopting Resolution Day, to be celebrated on the eve before the month of Janus, as a new Optihumanist Holiday.

No comments: