My photo
Dallas, Texas, United States

Sunday, June 30, 2019

Carrying Cash

I rarely use cash nowadays.  Paying with a credit card is more convenient than paying with cash and managing pocket change.  Plus some credit cards provide a benefit for using them such as a reward on each transaction of a percentage of the purchase price.

Because I use my credit cards for all of my purchases, any cash that I put in my wallet for emergencies is likely to stay there untouched for a long time.  Of course if I lose my wallet, I will lose the cash.  I need to balance the risk of not having enough cash on me to cover a future emergency versus the risk of the potential harm from losing all of the cash if I drop my wallet.

I have decided that the amount of cash that I should carry on me at all times is just enough to make change for any bill.  This means that I can break a five-, ten-, twenty-, fifty-, or one hundred-dollar bill upon request.  Here is what I carry:
  • Five one-dollar bills
  • One five-dollar bill
  • Two ten-dollar bills
  • One twenty-dollar bill
  • One fifty-dollar bill
This adds up to an even one hundred dollars.  This is a nice big round number which is easy to remember when you need to know how much cash you have on you.  One hundred dollars is enough without being too much.



No comments: