As part of celebrating the 250th anniversary of the American Revolution, my wife Shannon and I took our sons to see a copy of the Declaration of Independence at the J. Erik Jonsson Central Library. The Central Library is an impressive building with many resources including a massive genealogy section plus equipment for preserving old family audiotapes, films, photos, slides, and videos.
There was a pop-up exhibit entitled Spanish Texas During the American Revolution presented by the Mexican American Museum of Texas. I knew that France was allied with us during the American Revolution but I had not known that Spain was as well. Shannon reminded me that this information was taught to us in a lyric of the School House Rock song The Shot Heard 'Round the World.
I think I had only been to the Central Library once before in the last few decades as it is located in downtown Dallas. When we visited on a hot Texas day, there were many homeless people resting in the air conditioned building. That might explain why one librarian there seemed so impressed that a family that actually resided in Dallas was visiting the facility.

No comments:
Post a Comment